The AAR, Uttar Pradesh in the matter of M/s MEL Training and Assessment Ltd. [Advance Ruling No: UP ADRG 02/2022 dated May 02, 2022] has held that no Goods and Services Tax (“GST”) shall be levied on services provided to educational institution for conducting entrance examination.
M/s MEL Training and Assessment Ltd. (“the Applicant”) has engaged in the business of providing exams, certification, and other services including various types of surveys, assessments, and exam services to various clients. The Applicant has entered into contract with All India Institute of Medical Sciences (“the AIIMS”) for providing services relating to:
- recruitment examination for recruiting various person within the organization.
- Conducting entrance examination for granting admission to students.
- Semester Examination /Course Examination.
The Applicant contended that services relating to recruitment and semester examination are liable for the payment of GST and the services relating to entrance examination are exempt from payment of GST as per Entry 66(b) (iv) of Notification No. 12/2017 dated June 28, 2017 [“Services rendered by the educational institution”]
- Whether the services provided by the Applicant can be exempted under Entry 66(b) (iv) of the Services Exemption Notification.?
The AAR, Uttar Pradesh in [Advance Ruling No: UP ADRG 02/2022 dated May 02, 2022] has held as under:
- AIIMS qualifies within the definition of educational institution and accordingly services provided by the Applicant to AIIMS by way of conducting examination is exempt under the Services Exemption Notification.
- Observed that, the recruitment and semester examination are not mentioned in the Entry 66(b) (iv) of Notification No. 12/2017 dated June 28, 2017, and hence they are not exempted and liable for the payment of GST.
- Held that, the service provided to an educational institution by way of conduct of examination is exempted as per entry 66(b)(iv) of the Service Exemption Notification.
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed are strictly of the author and A2Z Taxcorp LLP. The contents of this article are solely for informational purpose and for the reader’s personal non-commercial use. It does not constitute professional advice or recommendation of firm. Neither the author nor firm and its affiliates accepts any liabilities for any loss or damage of any kind arising out of any information in this article nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. Further, no portion of our article or newsletter should be used for any purpose(s) unless authorized in writing and we reserve a legal right for any infringement on usage of our article or newsletter without prior permission.
We have recently released the 7th Edition (May, 2022) of our book on Goods and Services Tax, titled, “GST LAW AND COMMENTARY – WITH ANALYSIS AND PROCEDURES”, updated with the Finance Act, 2022 in a set of 4 Volumes. We thank you all for the support and your enduring response.
Have a look at the complete tour of the Book at: https://cutt.ly/nF6O0oN
Order your copy now and be a part of the GST learning excursion in the most comprehensive and lucid form !!
For more details and purchase online at: https://cutt.ly/RFMox8D